Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Heart Bicycles

This is a post to describe what makes bicycles and bicycling so wonderful.

First, just the word "bicycle" is fun to say. Bicycle. Bicycle. "Cycling" sounds pretty cool, too. As does "bikes." But if you're going to use the verb, you can't say biking. Bicycling just sounds that much more awesome. But bikes works well if you want to invite a friend along. Make sure to use the following catch phrase: "Wanna go ride bikes?"

My bicycle, Franchesco, is pretty wonderful. He has been through quite a bit. He probably has as many kilometres in three years as most cars have in one or two. He likes to squeak quite a bit, though. I particularly enjoy passing people with their hardcore aerobar and clip-in-shoe bicycles and all the hardcore gear... squeaking away, with my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. It's quite fun.

Franchesco and I have been through a lot together. I would like to complete the Edmonton-Calgary-Canmore-Banff-Jasper-Edmonton circle with him, but alas, I think the last leg of Jasper to Edmonton won't be travelled by him - he's made his last long journey and will now have to be my commuting friend only.

So, now I am looking into getting another bicycle. A bright, shiny, new touring bicycle. Likely light and good to take on long trips. Franchesco is pretty easygoing and dependable, but can be a little cranky, and I think his name describes him well. But now, I need a new name for what will be my new bicycle. It needs to be a boy name, because my touring bicycle should be a boy... when I get a triathlon bicycle, she will need a girl name.

So, any suggestions? Franchesco is very Italian, but I have a new feeling my new bicycle might be German... or perhaps Prussian. Or Turkish. Perhaps French, but more likely German.

... Wow, I am so weird. But those that love bicycles will understand.

Picture: What's in the bag?
Song: FM Static - Tonight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home