Sunday, February 13, 2005

Make it Clap

This is just a random story about taking the bus home late at night. No, not a scary story. I have enough of those in my psyched out dreams. Anyways, few Wednesdays ago, went out with Nisha and friends to a Latin club and then headed back to Whyte Ave and the bars. At this point I decided to split, after all, it was a school night. The bus going straight to my house (the #52) was waiting, so I hopped on and the bus driver took off.
Now, I was the only person on the bus, and the bus driver seemed pretty personable, so we chatted for a bit. And then I asked the questions I kind of always wondered... "What makes the 'next stop' light go off when a person gets off? Does the bus have to be stopped? Does it happen automatically when the doors open? Can the bus driver turn it back on himself?" Yes, these questions have always been burning inside of me. And the bus driver was pretty amused, but he did his best to answer all my questions. The thing that surprised me, that I thought was pretty cool, was when he said, "Actually, if you clap twice, really hard, you can turn the light off yourself." So before my stop came, I clapped twice. The first time I did it too soft, but the second time I did it hard enough, and sure thing, the light turned off. So, I hopped off the bus and went on my merry way.

A week goes by, and then I make plans on Tuesday with my friend Audrée, and we go watch Hotel Rawanda (awesome movie, but definitely a tearjerker) and go out for dinner. Then we take the LRT back to the U, and then the #4 down Whyte Ave. When we get there, the #52 just happens to be waiting once again (it only comes once an hour, I must be lucky!). So we were on the bus, heading home, when I explained to Audrée that if you clap your hands twice, the bus light will go off. She immediatly got incredibly excited, and asked if we could do it together before our own stop. So, I asked the bus driver if we could clap, and the bus driver was pretty amused... "You mean, applaud me? Wow, I've never had anyone do THAT for me before, sure!" So just before he stopped, there Audrée and I were, clapping our hands as loudly as we possibly could. At which point the bus driver started laughing, and said.. "That was you??? Oh man. Okay, don't worry, I'll turn the light off for you next time."

So that is my story. I hope it amused some of you, and if not, that's okay, you've probably either no sense of humour or at least a discerning one.

Anyways, in other news, this weekend was definitely an eventful one... to all those out there who know exactly what I'm talking about, you know exactly why I'm in such a good mood, and to all those that don't (just to add in a bit of secrecy), use your imagination. Just don't go too much overboard. Which reminds me, I scored a 71 on the purity test
(<-- don't go here if you don't wish to read xrated content!!) which places me approximately 2-300 points behind all my friends (aka, Megan, Ashley, Steve, Sean, Lisa, etc.). In other words, I am officially wet behind the ears and proud of it (sorry, Megs, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink). Okay, and now that I've finally posted something, I promise that I will endeavour to finally get my site overhauled by the end of reading week, and all of my surprises will be unfolded. Unless of course a certain sneaky sneak leaks some information, and I will be forced to bust out the monkey wrench. Good nite!

Picture: Why is that here?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you posted less than 10 minutes ago, and here I am checking your blog :D

I loved the clapping story! That was funny!

Anyways! Good luck during midterm week!

:)

Anita

9:40 p.m.  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Jeanine, I'm still "Wet Behind the Ears" too according to the score I got: 81. Okay back to studying...

10:38 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

Wow, it's almost 9 am and I can hardly keep my eyes open... and I have three classes to get through in the next three hours. But anyways, thanks for your comment Anita! And to monaLisa, I like you just the way you are! Us innocents have to stick together. Enjoy your genetics studying as much as I will enjoy mine. Ciao.

8:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeanine!! Your blog is so funny! I couldn't stop laughing when I read each entry. Say hello to your new blog stalker...grin.

8:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home