Friday, January 21, 2005

Needed to Post Something!

Right, well, it's been a long time since I posted anything of worth, so I decided I needed to post something. Not sure what it's going to be about yet but I suppose I'll figure it out. Okay, well, today I didn't bike to school, I tried biking home last night but "tried" is the key word. I walked most of the way home and fell about 3 or 4 times. It was a good day for me to decide to wear my Sorels. And taking the bus today, I remembered all about why I hate the bus and love me bike. like.... getting from the Tory lecture building to the Van Vliet Center within 5 minutes is slightly easier to do when you have a bike.
Something interesting I learned in psychology today. Say you meet someone that you're interested in. There are specific flirting steps that one normally takes.
Step 1: Eye contact. Step 2: Look away. Step 3: Eye contact again. Step 4: Friendly smile.
And at this point, even though you can't normally tell, if the person's pupils are dilated, that tends to be a positive response... there have been tests where people will look at a bunch of different pictures of the opposite sex, and the attractiveness of the people in the pictures get a much higher rating (even for the same person) when their pupils are dilated. And, according to our psych prof, biting your tongue will cause your pupils to dilate. Right. Who says you can never learn anything useful in an arts class? Well, technically this arts class is about as close to science as it gets, but still. Pretty interesting and very entertaining.
What else... I took my first hip hop class today and realized just how out of shape I am, not as bad as a bunch of people in the class but still. I enjoyed the choreography, but doing a choreographed routine is definitely not what I'm used to! So, I'll be hip hopping around my house tonight when I get home I think, before I go out. Ahhh, how I love Fridays. Swimming, hip hop class, and dancing all night long. With mebbe a bit of class and some studying :P. Tomorrow, if plans work out, I get to go snowboarding up north of Edmonton, and then Sunday I'll be doing some pool physiotherapy work with one of the disabled people I work with. That's kind of cool, especially because I'm considering physiotherapy or occupational therapy right now. And now I have my brain and behaviour psych class to go to. All stupid definitions... apparently physiological psychology and psychophysiology are completely different branches of neuroscience. Yeah. Someone gag me with a large pokey object. Actually don't, just kidding. Well, cheerio!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Physical/Occupation therapy sounds really interesting. Especially cuz you're all outgoing and friendly and such!
I took Psych 275 last term - I LOVE the prof, even though some people found him a bit boring. Not to scare you or anything, but flip to chapters 7 and 8, they're REALLY intensive in terms of memorization.... but because it deals with humans, it's way more interesting than plant fungi or whatever. Anyways. My tip for success in that class: Review the chapters EVERY DAY!
And also, the midterms are VERY nit-picky in terms of details. But! I know you'll do really well! So don't get discouraged! Have an excellent weekend hippity-hopping and snowboarding. Break a leg!
-Anita

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

Wow, thanks so much for the advice. I really like the CD that came with the text, it's got all the definitions and stuff and flash cards you on them... yeah, I've been keeping up with the readings so far, but most of the class lectures have been on things like action potentials and evolution... things I've learned in at least 5 other classes before this one (fun stuff). Readings are what's killing me right now. 30 pages yesterday and probably a good 20 or so more today.. and then the questions.. ugh....

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger Ian said...

So let me get this straight. your telling me that by biting my tongue when i look at someone, it will make them more attractive? that is kinda cool. but i think the increase in attractiveness will be overpowered by the pain in my tounge so it might not be as good as anticipated. also your quote. very funny, but cuz i am like this, if your tounge is stuck to the pole, how do you get your shirt off? and also, would the people laughing at you be slightly more attractive than usual?
Ian

6:20 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

Oops, think you're a bit mistaken there. What I meant to say was that when your pupils are dilated, you look more attractive to the person of the opposite sex. This is because even though you neither of you might realize it, when a person's pupils are dilated, they're interested in the other person and the other person responds to this. So, say you were to be a naked person stuck to a flagpole, theoretically, you would be more attractive than a naked person pretending to be stuck to a flagpole, due to pupil dilation. I think someone should quote me on that last sentence. And one more thing, if you're stuck to a pole, it's probably cold outside, and, as everyone knows, heat is lost more quickly from the head than the rest of the body. So you could just wrap your shirt around your head and hit two birds with one stone.

8:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home