Monday, December 20, 2004

Christmas Holidays, at last!!!

Oh geez. I hate macs, which is where I am writing this post from. I just deleted an entire post while trying to copy and paste it elsewhere, because it was a massive post, and I thought it would suck if it didn't end up publishing. Then I forgot that you have to press the little apple button instead of ctrl, and there isn't an "undo". Crud. Ah, the folly. It hurts. Right, well, here is pretty much what I was going to say.
As of today I am finished my finals. Those who have finals still most likely don't really care. Those that who have alreay finished their finals probably don't really care either. So, basically, I could stop writing right about now and nobody would really care at all (Gee I live a sad life). Anyways... just had to say, the major thought that occurred to me while I was handing in my ecology final was, well, gee, that's it? I honestly felt like I was cheated out of all the huge finals stress and burnout that everybody else (including myself) seems to experience every term. Mostly it's because i didn't kill myself or freak out when I realized that I knew absolutely nothing (either before finals or during). How rare. Righto.
So now I'm heading home to Dawson Creek, which I have a few mixed feelings about. For one, I'm not at the point where the main thought on my mind is "ESCAPE!!!" like I normally am after finishing a round of finals. Don't get me wrong, I really love Dawson Creek in the winter. I love watching the snow falling, either from the living room window, or outside at night while looking up at the sky. I love sledding on our driveway, and skidooing at my cousin's, and snowboarding at PK or even Bear Mountain, and I love walking down the road I live on outside of town that hasn't changed for as long as I can remember (except they paved it... AFTER I went to university WITH my rollerblades, buggers). I miss my DC friends an awful lot, so it'll be fantastic to see them all again. And Christmas makes it that much better.
However, I am really loving school right now. For one thing, freedom. At what other point in your life can you be completely free to do whatever you like, whenever you like? I can hop on my bike and basically go anywhere I feel like, anytime... and there's lots of awesome places that are easy to get to if I do want to! The house I live in couldn't be any better (even without the chimney). I love being able to go to class or a lab and laugh and talk and moan with friends and be one of those annoying people that the profs have to wait for to start the class. I love being able to walk around campus and run into five or six friends almost every day (even though I had to stalk those six friends until I knew their schedules by heart... I mean, just kiddin) and spend ten minutes talking about absolutely nothing and everything. Where else can you play almost any sport at any time of the day, volunteer for the people you really want to help, have crazy peanut butter wars and dance-offs in your own home (aka, Nisha and me, every night), and have a blast every day with the most amazing people and greatest friends you'll ever make in your life. I can go to class, finish a laboratory, make a play-doh boat with a six year old, go for a swim, see some friends, go to work (for the greatest all-round university athletics teams in Canada!), and party it up in a club all on a single Friday. College is absolutely the ideal lifestyle, and I am definitely loving it... which is probably for the best since I'm likely to be here for a while. Mebbe I'll change my mind next term when I hate my classes or my roomates are driving me crazy or I'm twenty times busier than any sane person should be. But right now, I'm in my happy spot.
Okay, and finally, I have some random thoughts and occurences that happened while writing my finals:
-"Well, it's a good thing that these scan-tron sheets are such a nice blue-green colour. Otherwise, I might end up feeling twingy about having to see them every time I write an exam. Like if they were an sick yellow-green colour... I would probably have bad dreams about being forced to write multiple choice exams and fill out the little circles on ugly paper..." (Yes, this thought actually did go through my head).
-The main gym looks so incredibly different when it's set up for exams, it's really weird. For instance, the contrast between the Can-Am games, v-ball players on the floor with the nets set up, crazy music and a thousand fans making insane noise, and now it's a bunch or mats on the floor and just rows and rows of endless desks and poor students scribbling away madly. Strange to think how just a few weeks ago I was selling beer at a B-ball game in that exact same spot where that proctor is giving my a funny look.
Next thought:
-"Why is that proctor giving me a funny look?"
-During my physiology exam, the girl sitting next to me had her desk fall apart, and she was trapped underneath it, and they had to call the fire department and the ambulance to get her out and she barely made it out alive.
-Okay, the part with the ambulance and the fire truck didn't exactly happen, but it would have been cool. And her desk actually did fall apart on top of her.
-Also, during my physio exam, one of the multiple choice questions asked which person's blood type would be best to use, if a person with type B blood, Rhesus negative had to have an emergency transfusion. And one of the possible answers was a person with type B, Rhesus negative blood. I asked the professor if it was a trick question.
-I am the epitome of the type of person you wouldn't want to sit next to during an exam. I tend to munch on very noisy snacks in the middle of the exam (once I have to read a question more than three times, I decide it's time for "the break"). Today it was an apple, and before it was carrots. Last term, it was animal crackers.... and there ended up being a story about the buffalo-type animal attacking the camel before the extinctionator demolished them and returned to her physics formula sheet.

Finally, those reading my posts might notice that I make a lot of rambling, run-on sentences. This is completely, 100% deliberate, because I think in run-on sentence mode and I like to write the way I think. I also do this because I am thankfully not in English any more and I now feel free to abuse the privelege to write as poorly as I want and I don't have to care. Ahh, that feels so good. Sweet release!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

I hate you. well not really. I dislike the fact that you are done your tests. I havnt accually read the post yet but i wanted to say that im going crazy from math and i found out that it is only engineers that have finals on the 22nd (thats the word on the street anyway). only 2 more. EAS only took me an hour this morning, that was kinda nice.
Ian

3:14 p.m.  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think I got that blood question wrong... darn. I think in run-on sentences too. You should ask Sarah about it sometime and having to edit my Grant Proposal for me...lol. The whole thing was a run-on sentence.

11:57 p.m.  
Blogger Ian said...

(tear) There i have now read it. My opinions; I think my theory on the decreasing quality of posts during finals time is accually quite accurate. And my theory of sanity returning quickely after the last final, well at first i thouhgt it was pretty good, but then i got to the thouhgts, and your still partially crazy. good luck on getting sanity back. anyway the whole sadness of leaving the greatness of college is shared. several pluses with my leaving, wont have to cook ALL my meals. video games with friends. accationally getting to drive a vehicle (my sis can drive, scary). ya but im gonna miss edmonton and getting up at like 11 in the morning and have a roomate in the shower and one waiting to go in. nothing beats bathroom conflicts at 11am when no one has anywhere to go. Anyway to wrap up this post, i think i do the oposite of run-on sentances. run-on sentace def.:A sentence in which two or more independent clauses are not properly joined by a semicolon or conjunction. example of mine "My opinions; I think my theory on the decreasing quality of posts during finals time is accually quite accurate. And my theory of sanity returning quickely . . . " notice how i just begin new sentances with a conjuntions? that cant be good. anyway where has english gotten me?
Ian
PS A run-on sentence is still a sentence

10:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home