Monday, May 23, 2005

Bartending Like a Pro

Wow. So tired.
I had my first bartending shift tonight, at the Saville Center. Bartending is fun (Actually, it really is, I'm definitely doing it next year). So long as you have the following:

-drinks (Especially coke. Everything starts with the coke.)
-ice
-glasses
-till

The great thing is, we had none of the above. Sometimes just one of the above was missing from the equation. Sometimes all four of the above were missing. That was fun. I think I'm going to get mad at my boss and make sure we can have the above for next time. That's a good base to start with. Other that that, it was pretty cool. Not that many tips because most of the people we were serving were underage and only bought pop. However, I now know how to make a variety of drinks, which is pretty fun. I now have Ceasars, Shirley temples, some other stuff (shots and different high balls), and a weird drink that I can't remember right now under my belt. I just remember, it's a large glass with half milk and half coke, and then a shot that's added after (of kahlua and vodka). Starts with a "D" I think. Discombobulated? No, that's not quite right. ("Hi there, I'll have two beers and a discombobulated." Right.) Anyways, after serving about 400 people all night and then cleaning up after, I'm pooped.

One more story. I tried to leave afterwards, and found out I went out the wrong way (the foote field way, where I stored my bike) and that I was locked into a large chicken wire fenced area. If anyone remembers, I was locked into foote field before and ended up scaling the fence to get myself out, gouging my arm in the process. Well, these fences are probably about 7 or 8 feet hight. What do you expect? Anyways, I found out I was locked in. And so I used my super human strength to heave my bicycle, backpack, and all my other crap over this crazy stupid fence. That's hard when it's so darned high. And then I climbed over myself. Now, I must remember next time to always bring some NON-ROUNDED TOE shoes to work WHENEVER I work at foote field. Think pointy-toed from now on. Anyways, did pretty good this time, only a very minor gouge. Eh. I think I must have looked pretty cool, I have to wear all black to work, so scaling the fence, I felt like a super agent spy (wo)man. I think I should change careers. After my bartending spree, I think. Anyways, time for bed.
Night.

Music: 100 Years - Five for Fighting
Picture: MERGE

(Update... just checked it out, weird drink is called a paralyzer. So doesn't start with a D after all. Oops.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I find it funny that you didn't know what a Paralyzer was.

-Josh

10:03 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

I didn't know what a highball was... how to make a rum and coke... what goes into a shot... and the worst of all, how to get beer from the tap. See, you really can go in knowing less than nothing and get it all in maybe half an hour. No prob.

10:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other commenter is right, it's like a Paralyzer. But for future reference, and it'll help you out being a bartender :), Bulldogs are made with Vodka, Paralyzers are made with Tequila.

8:41 a.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

I swear, I was told it was vodka. But then I looked up the "recipe" on the net and a bunch have it with vodka, tequila AND kahlua, some have just vodka and kahlua, some have just tequila and kahlua, and then some have tequila OR vodka and kahlua. So I do believe, we just have to compromise here. Meh, I don't have to drink it anyways, so I'm not worried.

12:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to bartend here(Ohio, USA) and we have the drink you are talking about but we have a few names for it as well...1)Colorado Bulldog 2) Bulldog 3)Oklahoma
All of them are vodka, Kahlua & coke(basically a white russian, tall, shaken adn with coke) have you tried a Royal Flush yet? It can be a drink or a shot--Crown royal and Peach Schnops--very yummy. best of luck bartending!

12:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home