Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Relief

Wow, *huge sigh of relief*. I just got awarded a bursary from the access fund. Such a load off of my chest. I've been panicking but telling nobody about how freaked out I have been about my financial situation... I have no idea when the last bit of my student loan is coming in, no idea when my paycheck from work is going to come in, but I do know that I have no room left on my credit card, rent was due yesterday, and there's a whole bunch of things I've been needing to get for school and before I leave in June that I simply couldn't afford. It's scary having no money. I was hopeful but not actually expecting a bursary, I thought they might say "you can pay off your credit card debt when you work this summer. You have no need for money."

This way I can actually pay off my credit card in the first month of work... I hate the idea of having any amount owing on it at all but that's just the way the cookie's been crumbling. Next year I plan on working two jobs and cutting back a bit on my course load so that I can not have to rely so much on student loans. Student loans suck. For anyone that has had them, especially those oh-so fun out-of-province student loans, they are a royal pain in a million different ways. They basically take mounds and mounds of paperwork, running around, reapplying, reassessment, and then waiting for years and years to actually get the money you've stressed and worked your butt off for. And no matter how early you get them in, they will always have problems with your application and take a month to send it back to you telling you to fix it. And then another month after you've resent it to them, they send it back to you again and you do all the fun crazy running around as quickly as possible so that you can (hopefully) get your money in less than three weeks. But it usually takes another month. Yuck.

Oh, the financial woes of a student. Life is rough. But someone stole my helmet.

So, this is a thank you to the student's union. You have saved my sanity (well, debatable, but saved a portion of it anyways). I LOVE YOU!!!!

-Jeanine

Music: Rockapella - Carmen Sandiego
Picture: The voices told me to

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah!

You're well deserving of the award... and hopefully now you can sleep better with less worries.

Your helmet was cool, the roundness of it reminded me of a motorcycle helmet.

-Muffin

4:19 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

Thanks Anita!!! I appreciate it!
Haha, I was so afraid that the people who interviewed me when I applied would catch me making "illegitimate purchases" or something... like white chocolate brownies... hehe! Personally, I think that such purchases are incredibly important for mental and social health. Yes. Really. Honestly. (Okay... just play along).

5:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly! Actually, in one of my Human Ecology classes last term, we talked about poverty and mental well-being. It was really interesting... and according to a study in Canada, most people agreed that not being able to participate in social activities at least sometimes, such as eating out, is considered a form of relative deprivational poverty. So yes! See! Social inclusion is important!

(But I have an idea: next time we get together, let's buy those gigantic Superstore muffins, and some ice cream. We'll make our own White Chocolate Brownie.. and we can name it Jeanita [haha]).

Anyways! My bedtime now!
Gooodnight!

10:05 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

OoOoOh.... I am drooling.
Haha, I love having a human eco student as a friend. You can give me excuses to do things and not feel at all guilty afterwards (actually, I didn't before but now I have a good excuse).
Anyhoo, let me know if you'd like to get together for a swim again sometime!

11:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home