Monday, January 01, 2007

Bookworming it up.

'Tis the season of not having a lot to do. So here's to reading.

I pick up a lot of random books at the used book store down the street, but my indigo/chapters card has also probably saved me a bundle by now...

Here's a few to pick up that I've read over/since summer:

My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult): Interesting for the individual character dialogues. The ending didn't seem realistic, but that's wasn't the point - I guess you'll have to read the book to find out what I mean. I love this book because it makes you think.

The Giver (Lois Lowry): If you haven't read this book in grade 4 like the rest of us, do it. In fact, come over to my house and I'll lend it to you right now.

Eragon (Christopher Paolini): I bought it on a whim and it was horrible because I couldn't put it down after I picked it up. I have a love-hate relationship with those kind of books. The most unbelievable thing, though, is that the author had this book published by the time he was nineteen.

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold): Good, but can be hard to read at times... only read this book if you're in the mood for a good cry.

Life of Pi (Yann Martel): Everyone told me to read it. Now I am telling you to read it. The beginning is horribly slow, but trust me, it makes up for it...

Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden): It's on the best seller's list for a reason. Side note: I read this book while travelling on my bicycle this summer, and a beautiful trip should always be accompanied by a beautiful book.

Some books not to touch...

Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley): I know some people love this book. I hate it. Burnt it, in fact. It felt good.

Fall On Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald): Have you ever read a book that had a great plot, but the author just could not write? Where it felt like you were reading a book you wrote in grade four? Well, this is the exact opposite. Ann-Marie has a fabulous writing style. Amazing. So amazing I had to finish reading it. But was it a good book? No. It was horrible from the beginning. No plot or direction. Nothing. Don't do it.

Here On Earth (Alice Hoffman): You think it will be a great book for the first half. Then the author gets her plot so tangled and complicated that she had no easy way out. Solution: She decides to stop the book randomly, leaving you feeling depressed, slightly irritated and thinking WTF?

I also have a lot of favourite books and authors, so I'll list a few here:
-Michael Crichton
-Mercedes Lackey
-Clive Cussler
-Dan Brown (DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons)
-Anything Harry Potter
-John Grisham
-Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game & Ender's Shadow)
-Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice) ...You should check out the videos after, both versions are pretty good.

Picture: My Robot Garden
Song: Bowling for Soup - Stacy's Mom*

*Some guy was scrolling through my ipod last night and said I listen to too much emo music, and asked if I was hurting on the inside.
To set the record straight, my insides feel just great. Wonderful, in fact, since I ate a steak for supper. And I listen to LOTS of happy music. And my non-happy music is mellow, not emo. So take that. Stupid emo guy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I liked "Fall on your knees"... I guess it is personal preference. I read Eragon during finals (bad idea... cut into study time) and Eldest over the break. I have Eldest if you want to borrow it.

You might not want to borrow Eldest though... it has a cliff hanger ending which means you'll have to wait until he publishes the next book to see what happens.

11:12 p.m.  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh... and if you liked Life of Pi, you might enjoy The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I loved it... although I have been told by some people that I hype it too much and others have found it equally amazing. I guess it depends on whether you subscribe to the philosophy of the book.

11:15 p.m.  
Blogger Jamie said...

Hey there! Long time no chat! If you are still in Dawson, you should give me a call! I might give you a jingle tomorrow! I got Memoirs of a Geisha for Christmas! I absolutely adore that book, I read it over a year ago, and since then, I've just wanted to read it again and again!

11:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally agree with u on the "not wanted on the voyage" book..its so damn..awful=.=

11:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home