Monday, February 21, 2005

Reflection

This is kind of a weird idea that I have, and I'm not sure if it's unique to me or if anyone else ever has/does experience it. I just kind of realized that every time I look in the mirror, I see my own face, but it doesn't feel like it belongs to me. That sounds kind of creepy, so let me rephrase it. Actually, this is going to sound weird no matter how I say it, I think. What I'm trying to say, is that maybe because I've never seen myself and how I look (aka, facial expressions, etc) as I go through everyday life (which is normal, right? ...unless you watch videos of yourself, you won't see how you yourself look during an ordinary day), so I don't have memories associated with my face as I do with other people I know. So when I look in the mirror, I might recognize the face as my own, but I don't attach it to who I really am or what I feel because the feelings and thoughts I have, and the person I am don't show in my reflection.
Now I suppose this could be taken in a lot of different ways... but it doesn't mean anything negative at all. I like my face and the person I see in the mirror, I wouldn't change a thing about myself (that sounds arrogant, but really, anybody who can't stand to see themselves is a person I feel sorry for, or a person who has some deep issues), but what I'm trying to say is that the face I see and the person I see myself as don't correlate in my mind. When I see myself, I feel surprised, and think "Is that really me?" because I think, somehow, that it's funny how neither I nor anyone else could ever know or see anything of what I am from my reflection by itself. Which is why physical attraction is so shallow, and sadly, we're all pawns to it, whether we admit or not.
So this is my deep thought for today. I'm not sure if I managed to express the thoughts I actually have accurately, but I did my best. I hope those reading this understand what I'm trying to say, even if I don't understand it myself. My only excuse is that philosophy is not my strong point, and at 1:30 am, I expect it is even less so.
Picture: Flowers are under the snow
Song: Come What May - Moulin Rouge Soundtrack

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

First i would like to say that isnt it intersting what you choose to post about in the wee hours of the morning? but on a more serious note. I sorta konw the feeling. nothing is weirder than watching yourself on a video, or hearing yourself on a video. ive seen pictures of myself and asked, is that really what i look like? its werid.
ian

2:31 p.m.  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hey... you know what song your post reminds me of- well sort of at least: Reflection from Mulan.

Anyhow...I agree with your post :)

12:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home