Thursday, March 10, 2005

My Brush With Death (Gasp!)

Well, today I have an interesting enough story to share, and I suppose I'll have to update my accident tally once again. Which is funny, because this morning before I left the house, I thought, "gee, I haven't even come close to getting hurt this week, I bet I could even make the rest of March without another update to my tally!" Yeah, not so fast... I actually have two new things to put on my tally as of right now. But the second is the more interesting of the two, I was finally hit by a car. I've been expecting this for quite a while now, Edmonton drivers are crazy. But this was pretty ridiculous... I was on the street, biking along in the bus/bike/taxi lane, when this guy in a car started to pull onto the street from a parking lot. I saw him as I was biking along, but thought, "Yeah, he'll stop." And then a second later, I'm lying on the street, in a state of shock, thinking... "He didn't stop?"
Yes, so I was hit by a car. I'm not too badly hurt or anything, my ankle's a bit scraped up and so's my left leg, but nothing major. The chain fell off my bike. I was mostly just in a state of disbelief. It wasn't even like he cut me off or anything, he really actually hit me while pulling out of a parking lot.
So, this is to my dad - THAT'S why I am so anal about people doing shoulder checks and actually looking when they pull out of places. Especially in the city, there's lots of bikers and such, which are easy to miss unless you do a shoulder check and actually look to see if anyone's coming. Because it doesn't work to assume that you and everyone else on the road is indestructable. Think of the cyclists. *Sniff*

Picture: This can't be the end!

Song: Third Eye Blind - God of Wine

5 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

finally, this is like the third time ive tried to comment, stupid not workingness. well anway, bikes are easy to see when people are driving. You know who we should really be looking out for? busses. they are hard to see, people run in to them all the time.
Ian

11:35 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

lol, are you serious, or being sarcastic? Can't tell your tone on a comment. Have you actually ever seen someone hit a bus? Have YOU ever run into a bus? Is there something you haven't told us, Ian?

3:38 p.m.  
Blogger Ian said...

So put these together and see if you can figure it out.
1) "So, this is to my dad - THAT'S why I am so anal about people doing shoulder checks and actually looking when they pull out of places. Especially in the city, there's lots of bikers and such, which are easy to miss unless you do a shoulder check and actually look to see if anyone's coming. Because it doesn't work to assume that you and everyone else on the road is indestructable. Think of the cyclists. *Sniff*"
and
2) "well anway, bikes are easy to see when people are driving. You know who we should really be looking out for? busses. they are hard to see, people run in to them all the time.
Ian"

Ian

4:19 p.m.  
Blogger Jeanine said...

lol... well said.(swish!) -10 points Dad. +20 points Ian.

5:35 p.m.  
Blogger Ian said...

RE: Quote of the Quote of the Day...Week... Month... Whatever.

Who's idea was that? i mean who thought lets make rats smell like lemons, and see if they get it on more often lemony fresh rats. I hope that they made certain rats smell like lemon, then "run the test", then make the lemon rats the ordinary rats and the ordinary rats the lemon rats. that way the attractivness of the rat wouldnt play into the test. and from what i hear, some rats are pretty attractive. seriously, me =posting at night = VERY interesting stuff said. in closing, if they saw an increase in "lovin' lemon" just think of what they would have observed if the rats smelt like barbeques.
Ian

12:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home